Friday, April 24, 2015

My Running Buddies Who Do All The Talking: Favorite Podcasts To Pass The Miles

As a running mom, my training often takes place at odd times and locations. The crack of dawn on my basement treadmill. Mid-morning on my neighborhood streets. Late afternoon near my parents' home. Even the long run, an often-predictable part of a runner's weekend, switches days and start times based on what the schedule holds. As a result, I roam the mean streets alone when I train.

That's me. Actually, I do belong to a running club, I just never run with them! Image found here.
But don't feel too bad for me; I actually have several running buddies who help make the miles pass quickly (or at least more quickly). They are the folks who host my favorite running podcasts, and together they have formed my training posse through the years. If any of you train alone and are in need of distraction and motivation, any of these podcasts will fit the bill. Below are the top five podcasts who have had my back on every long run, in no particular order:

1. Another Mother Runner. Actually, I lied -- the rest of the list is in no particular order, but this podcast is definitively on top. Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea have written three running books geared toward "mother runners," and also have a very successful blog, Facebook page and apparel store. They even held a running retreat last month. The podcast is my favorite part of their brand, however. Even if that week's topic isn't 100% on point for my current running focus, I always tune in to hear Dimity and Sarah chat about their respective family foibles and most recent runs. It is like having two girlfriends chatting it up next to me, and I am more than happy to just be a fly on the wall and listen in. 

2. Embrace Running. If I can't have Dimity and Sarah with me on a run (and really, their podcasts are only so long, so this happens often), I will gladly take Mark and Elena.  This couple lives in northern California, and they run a lot of races so they are always training for something. They talk about their training, news in the running world, race recaps, and sometimes a hot training or racing topic such as hydration or goal setting. They often banter and chat like Dimity and Sarah, and their vibe is light and low-key.  Elena recently ran Boston, so I am looking forward to listening to her recap on the next episode!

3. Marathon Training Academy. Angie and Trevor are another running couple who love to recap their races and banter back and forth. I'm sensing a theme here...but don't those types of people make the best long run pals?? Their focus is often guest-based, and they have interviewed many inspirational runners. They also provide valuable training information through the episode's "Quick Tip," and Angie sometimes devotes episodes to training advice (the couple also run a marathon training program through their website). Angie also recently ran Boston, so when that recap hits I will be all over it!

4. House of Run. This podcast is a relatively new find for me; probably because I have become a bigger fan of the sport as my running has progressed. Kevin and Jason focus on predicting and recapping elite running events on both the road and track, so if you don't follow the front of the pack much, this podcast may not be for you. But if you know your Desi from your Shalane, your Simpson from your Rowbury and your Kimetto from your Kipsang, these guys are on top of their game and also give me at least one laugh-out-loud moment per podcast. Luckily, the routes I usually run are not stuffed with runners, so I can chuckle without embarrassment!

5. Marathon Journey. There are so many podcasts in my feed that could take this last slot, but I went with one of my oldest and dearest long run buddies, Derek Ralston. This guy makes the relatively-chilled-out Mark and Elena sound like they have ADHD.  He is a former police officer turned photographer, Galloway-method run-walker and runDisney race fan. On paper, he seems like my polar opposite, as I have never run-walked nor run a Disney race, but his opinions on the running, training and racing worlds keep me entertained enough to keep coming back for more!

I haven't even scratched the surface of the running podcasts in my listening queue, nor have I mentioned the triathlon podcasts! I encourage everyone who runs with headphones (use with caution -- safety first!) to put away the music every so often and search iTunes for one of these podcasts, or another one that floats your boat. You may find your very own running tribe; and the best part is, we can share the same one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment