Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Blister Update, and the Power of Belief

With trepidation after the events of yesterday, I hopped on the treadmill this morning for my recovery-paced miles. I can happily report that I was able to run with little discomfort, and there are no new blisters post-run.  Hopefully my new pair of Guide 7s will continue to serve me well.  This has been a heck of a learning experience for me, and I will definitely take action sooner if I have blisters after changing shoes in the future!  I'm especially glad that this did not impact any key workouts, and I didn't get behind on my weekly mileage. Onward and upward!


After I took that poignant photo, I had second thoughts and fished my shoes out of the trash. Just in case I ever donate my old shoes to make playground equipment or something. I made sure to label the shoebox, though:

I wouldn't wish those shoes on my worst enemy. Well, maybe Rita Jeptoo!
I actually want to explore something that occurred on Saturday after I returned home from my half marathon. I received an e-mail from the race company with my very detailed race results. It was the type that goes into how many people you passed and how many people passed you. I had seen these results on the race website right after I finished, but something stood out at me this time (SPOILER ALERT for non-Facebook fans! Recap coming soon, I promise!):


As I recapped on my Facebook page, my last four miles or so were not my favorite miles ever. I was trying to find another gear, and it was not to be found. Therefore, when I saw the "split" stat, I assumed that was the difference between my first half of the race (before the turnaround) and the second half. I posted accordingly in my recap, saying that I went out too fast and faded, to the tune of a 19-minute positive split. I tried to put a positive spin on it, saying that I still salvaged a PR so all was not lost. I let the "likes" and "atta girls" roll in, and didn't think much of it.

Lying in bed that night, my brain decided to do some math. If I had run an even-split race (51:14 x 2), I would have finished in 102:28, or 1:42:28. Um...I did positive-split the race, but only by 59 SECONDS, not 19 minutes.


Now, I do have a mild-to-moderate case of math anxiety -- I did all right in math classes, but I never enjoyed them and avoided them if at all possible.  However, that fact does not explain how I neglected to figure out that I didn't have a 19-minute positive split (what was that number for, anyway? The split from the 7Kers? We didn't split from the 7Kers!). I accepted a horrific stat as gospel with no cross-checking whatsoever.

What this says to me is that I let my "meh" feelings about my race performance get in the way of all reason. My "fade" felt that drastic to me, so I went with it. Now that I know the real numbers, I feel a lot better about my grasp of racing strategy, but what I need to do more of is positive self-talk.


I also need to keep on doing my speedwork (the next session is tomorrow!) so I can negative split my next half in three weeks. And, you know, I might also need to brush up on my math facts...

Image found here.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I wonder why they gave us this stat, anyways. According to mine, I would have finished in 111: 56 or 1:51:56. Gives me a positive split too, but only of 12 seconds. Seems like I went a lot slower the second half but maybe not. The Garmin tells a different story. Good thing I don't get too hung up on the numbers. A PR is a PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to get to Las Vegas by Bus? - DRM CD
    Directions to MGM Grand · (702) 770-5000 · From 시흥 출장마사지 the Main Street. The 화성 출장마사지 only way to get to MGM Grand is 김해 출장샵 to go to LINQ Promenade, where you can 부산광역 출장샵 book 양산 출장마사지 a ride,

    ReplyDelete